This is one of my absolute favourite recipes, and so easy! This is one of those one pot wonders – 1 pan and an oven that does all of the work for you! When it comes to the weather getting warmer and the days getting longer, I don’t know about you but I simply don’t want a lot of heavy carbs which are going to be make me feel full, bloated and lethargic. I want to feel full up from a meal so I don’t feel like I am on a diet, even though I am, but not feel like there’s a giant boulder in the bottom of my stomach afterwards. This is a great recipe for summer and one that is easily adaptable to serve fewer or more people simply by adding or taking away the quantities of vegetables you’re cooking. Some people might see this as a side dish but you’d be surprised how filling and delicious this really is. So here it is, my Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables with Mozzarella and Crusty Bread. An easy recipe that just involves chopping, cheesy and delicious with the added bonus of it being SYN FREE! What’s not to love…
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 Courgette, chopped
1 Aubergine, chopped
2-3 Peppers, any colour and chopped
2 Red Onions, chopped into wedges
4-6 Garlic Cloves, peeled and segmented
300g Mushrooms, quartered
1 Punnet of Cherry Tomatoes
140g Low-Fat Mozzarella, sliced
Crusty Wholemeal Rolls
1. You will want to pre-warm the oven at 180 degrees while you prep the meal. So get out your chopping board, sharp knife and a nice big oven tray (with sides, so basically a square tin!)
2. Take the courgette, aubergine, peppers and red onions and chop them into decent size wedges/chunks of roughly the same size and put them mixed up into the oven tray. Then peel the garlic cloves, gently press on them with the knife to split them open and put into the tray with the veg. Spray Fry-Lite over the veg and crack some black pepper over the top. Put the tray in the oven and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes until the veg has softened.
3. Take the tray from the oven, and on top of the already softened veg, add the quartered mushrooms and the punnet of cherry tomatoes. Spray with a bit more Fry-Lite and sprinkle a little more black pepper and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
4. Finally, slice a pack of half-fat mozzarella (70g per person for a HeA) and lay the pieces over the top of the veg and put a final crack of black pepper and pop back in the oven until the cheese has melted and got a slightly golden top.
5. Take from the oven, dish onto 2 plates and make sure you serve the liquid from the oven tray too as this is the best bit. Add a crusty wholemeal roll (check the weight/size for a HeB) and enjoy!