This is one of my absolute favourite recipes and it is so easy – 1 pan and an oven that does all of the work for you! It seems to be lately that I have ended eating it 2 or 3 times a week because not only is it easy and delicious but it is also healthy, low in calories and really cheap. Another great thing about this dish is it’s adaptability, meaning that whilst this is how I make it usually, if I have some leftover broccoli or leeks or cauliflower that need using up, I can chuck it on in too and create a whole new flavour. So here is my oven-baked, quick and easy recipe for the delicious Roasted Mozzarella Mediterranean Vegetables which I really just want to eat again and again.
Quick List of Ingredients (Serves 2):
1 Courgette, chopped
1 Aubergine, chopped
2-3 Peppers, any colour and chopped
2 Red Onions, chopped into wedges
4-6 Garlic Cloves, peeled and pressed
300g Mushrooms, quartered
1 Punnet of Cherry Tomatoes
1 Pack of Mozzarella
1. You will want to pre-warm the oven at 180 degrees while you prep the meal. So get out your chopping board, sharp knife and a nice big oven tray (with sides, so basically a square tin!)
2. Take 1 courgette, 1 aubergine, 2-3 peppers of any colour and 2 red onions and chop them into decent size wedges/chunks of roughly the same size and put them mixed up into the oven tray. Then peel 4-6 garlic cloves, gently press on them with the knife to split them open and put into the tray with the veg. Drizzle olive oil over the veg and crack some black pepper over the top. Put the tray in the oven and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes until the veg has softened.
3. Take the tray from the oven, and on top of the already softened veg, add 300g of quartered mushrooms and a punnet of cherry tomatoes. Drizzle a bit more oil and black pepper and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
4. Finally, slice a pack of mozzarella and lay the pieces over the top of the veg and put a final crack of black pepper. Take a pack of part baked French baguettes and pop them on a tray and put into the oven at the same time as the veg for 10-12 minutes.
5. Take from the oven, dish onto 2 plates and make sure you serve the liquid from the oven tray too as this is the best bit. Add some warm crusty French bread and you have yourself a feast!
**ADD SOME MEAT: Try adding some leftover/pre-cooked chicken pieces or even Quorn chunks for an extra hit of protein. But be warned as this meal is very filling!!