*This is a collaborative post.
There are so many wonderful things that you will discover in life, but if you have the chance to grow and birth a baby, you will get to know so much about yourself. Raising children is not easy and being pregnant is not easy. Going through labour and recovering from that while you are raising a newborn – you guessed it, it’s not easy! So, you need to consider all of the things that people don’t tell you about motherhood and make your impending life change as easy as possible.
- You will cry – a lot. When you’re pregnant, you’re going to cry at the drop of a hat. When you’re staring at your brand new baby, you’re going to cry. When you start to look at a birthstone guide to pick the perfect gift for your newborn to grow with, you’ll cry. And do you know what? It’s absolutely fine that you are going to cry! Emotions run high with a baby around, and you are changing your whole life for this new little life in your world. Sometimes, you’ll even cry with the baby in your arms. It’s okay. But get some advice and help if the tears feel inevitable no matter what you do.
- You’ll learn to trust your gut. If you have ever doubted yourself and your instincts, you’re going to have to learn to trust your instincts and trust yourself, too. You can figure things out as time goes by and you’ll be wading through brand new waters as you go.
- You’ll make mistakes and you won’t enjoy it sometimes – and not enough people talk about this. Mothers make mistakes and you cannot be there to catch them every time that they fall. No mother is a perfect one, but it’s a new role and you will be good at it over time. It doesn’t always happen in an instant, but motherhood is amazing.
- You’ll never be alone again – ever. From the moment you sit in the bath to the moment you open your eyes, your baby is always going to be there. Some days it’s going to be a comfort, and other days it’s going to feel suffocating. Either way, you are going to feel like you’ll never have your privacy back again – you will, but it’ll be a while!
- Relationships will change when you bring a child into the world. Sometimes this is a good thing, but other times, it’s a wonderful thing! Your relationships with friends will change, and not always for the better. You’ll find that your parents’ relationships will also change, and you’ll appreciate your mother even more than you did before!
- Google and Netflix will become your best friend. In your early days of breastfeeding, you’ll become very accustomed watching box sets and movies all night! The internet is a blessing for those long nights with the baby – and you will likely Google all manner of things into the night even when you shouldn’t!
Motherhood is amazing, scary, horrifying and the best thing that you could ever do.