Breakfast is apparently the most important meal of the day isn’t it?! Well, that’s what everyone says anyway but in actual fact I think it is probably the meal I give the least amount of thought to and also the one I have the least often. I am not someone who can eat as soon as they get up unless for some random reason I am hungry and I’ll go through stages of really not wanting anything at all or wanting loads and loads of different things and really making an effort. Being on the move at the moment has quite frankly put breakfast completely out of my mind and instead I have been unhealthily snacking mid morning instead. Soon though, I will be in my new house and so I have been looking for some breakfast inspiration and where else should I look than some of my wonderful foodie blogger friends. I put a couple of messages out there asking for some great breakfast recipes and boy did the bloggers answer. Therefore, I thought i’d do a round-up of some of the favourite recipes I found whilst reading through some delicious looking blogs…
- For the first and probably MOST INDULGENT choice from all the recipes I looked at, comes from one of my absolute favourite foodie bloggers and photographers, Little Paper Swans with her delicious and mouth-watering “Easy Cinnamon Roll Buns!” I have always been a huge fan of breakfast pastries (best thing about holidays!!) so these were right up my alley and have jumped to the top of my “to make”list!
- I’m a big fan of eggs (one of only two reasons I could never be vegan…the other being cheese!!!) especially when done right. There are so many different ways to eat eggs and everyone likes them done in their own specific way. For me, my absolute favourite is a perfectly cooked poached one that oozes out when you break into it and hasn’t gotten too watery when cooking. Bride by the Sea is telling us all about “The Perfect Poached Eggs“!
- So, despite opening with an absolutely delicious breakfast that I would probably spend a month working half of it off of my hips, I am in desperate need of some healthy options to have for the other 363 days of the year and yet I don’t want them to seem healthy because then my stupid brain will rebel and I need to trick it. So I was over at Kate’s blog, The Less-Refined Mind and came across “Healthy Delicious Black forest Protein Pancakes!” Mmmm yummy delicious (as Bing would say… which I now find myself saying way too often) – finally a healthy pancake I can get behind!
- I couldn’t really call myself a true veggie without throwing in some sort of quorn or tofu could I? And I was definitely intrigued by the sound of CannyFood’s vegan classic, “Tofu Scramble!” Despite being a vegetarian my whole life, I haven’t eaten a whole lot of tofu but have just found myself recently loving it and so any recipe that involves it gets my vote for sure – this food has no face!
- On a similar level of intrigue to the previous one was when I saw the link from Monkey-Feet entitled “Breakfast Casserole!” I love a good casserole and if it wasn’t for the fact we have a household member who hates them (what the hell??! I know right?!) then I would eat them all day every day during Winter. Imagine my happiness when I looked at the recipe and saw it was for a veggie version too – though of course meat substitutions can be made. It’s also a one-pot wonder so even better!
- Could not have a breakfast round-up without a bit of granola. I really do love it when its done right – not too many nuts for me and when you add just the right amount of milk so it’s not to crunchy but still has a bite – mmmm yum! Over at An Organised Mess, they were making “Strawberry and Mango Granola” two of my absolute favourite fruits so how could I possibly miss that recipe out. What a delicious and healthy way to start any day.
- Finishing off my breakfast choices (thought I’d do 7, 1 for each day of the week) is another slightly naughty one I’m afraid but if you were eating these in order then it’s Sunday which is a day of rest and therefore deserving of something slightly more decadent wouldn’t you agree?! So, I’ve gone for another pancake recipe and this one is from Beach Hut Cook and they are “Gingerbread Buttermilk Pancakes” which were served with strawberries and looking so good I could almost taste them. Looking at them I swear I could smell the gingerbread and it instantly, for some mad reason here in the middle of another wet English summer, made me feel all Christmassy, so I was like YUP! Got to have me some of those!
There you have it folks – my delicious 7-day round-up of breakfasts. I myself was shocked to not see a fry-up in there but to be honest if you cook them yourself they’re often just too much work and then I can’t be bothered to eat them afterwards. I was also in the mood for something different and each one of these recipes appealed to my inner breakfast eating monster as well as my inner yummy delicious Bing.
Tell me – what’s your favourite breakfast?